Photobucket had recently made a very dick move by disabling all third-party embedded pics unless I pay $399. I've been blogging for 13 years and have 2000+ embedded pics across 650+ blog posts, which are now all unviewable. I'm working on moving my images to a new host, so until then, please do bear with me if you cannot view any images on my older blog posts.

Monday, October 22, 2007

Chp 151. Puppies for Adoption!

Being on a work sabbatical because of an important exam coming up, I usually spend my days and evenings going over to my girlfriend’s apartment to study whenever she is not there, so as to babysit our new puppy. It is more quiet over there as I am alone at her place, unlike my apartment filled with UPSC coaching friends discussing about issues and subjects that I cannot afford to take part in right now.

There are actually two puppies, one is ours and the other belongs to my good friend Tawia (Zorema) who can’t keep the puppy with him for the time being because he is still busy currently relocating. And of course I am just shamelessly using the pronoun “our” even though technically they belong to my girl (and I miserly never spend a dime on their expenses like food, milk etc) because in a relationship, everything becomes “our” “our” “our” and “our”, like “our newspaper bill”, “our gas stove”, “our water supply”, “our eyeliner” And of course my girlfriend asks, “If everything is “ours”, then how come you never spend anything on OUR puppies?” and I would look deep into her eyes and softly whisper, “I love you”.

Because of my exam, I cannot afford to socialize. And with my girlfriend always at work, these two puppies have become the perfect companion one can ask for. The only time they ever disturb me and my studies is when I would spend a couple of minutes just looking at them, admiring them, the way they sleep, the way they play, the way they behave, the way they learn… they are so human and adorable.

For 2 months I have watched them grow up now. 2 months I have fed them their meal, cleaned their crap, wiped their pee, scolded them when they are naughty, hugged them when they act cute, walked them at the park, shared their pain when anyone steps on them, and tried my best to toilet-train them. In two months, I have gone through that fatherly nostalgia every dad goes through. Because they are not even 3 months old yet, and they are already sooo big! It’s like looking at evolution on a fast-forward mode.

2 months ago, while searching on the net for puppies to buy, we came across one such advertisement. Malleka Gupta. From that day onwards, our life has changed forever.

Malleka’s one of the sweetest person I’ve ever met online. When I called her up and asked her about the cost of the puppies, she surprised me by saying it was free! I then had to answer a barrage of questions ranging from what I do for a living to how experienced I am with pets! It felt like one of those “good cop – bad cop” interrogations on those American TV Cop shows, except that she was playing the role of a “bad cop” most of the time. Lolz Nah, it wasn’t that bad, but she was extremely concerned about her puppies and wanted to be a cent percent convinced that her puppies will be in good hands.

So while I was in Mizoram last September, my girl and two other friends of mine met Malleka and were given three lovely "Indian" puppies. I heard a lot about them over the phone and finally got to meet them when I got back to Delhi.

Love them!

Since then, Malleka had become a very good friend and we would talk over the phone about pet and stray issues here in India. There is still one puppy left for adoption. It’s a female, and she already got her first two vaccinations, is properly toilet trained, understands some of the basic commands and is a whole lot of fun and excitement.









It will also save you so much trouble of dealing with all those irritating crying in the middle of the night or uncontrollable bladder release anywhere they please. And at the same time, the puppy is old and clever enough to give you all the companionship and love you can wish for. And the best part is, it’s free!!!

So what are you waiting for? Contact Malleka immediately on the following details given below. Plus this will also be a great chance to get to know all the other wonderful people who have taken her puppies up for adoption, as Malleka plans on conducting an “Adopters get-together” party sometime later in the upcoming future, a BYOP (Bring Your Own Pup) party . Yes, even Malleka herself doesn’t know about this plan of hers yet And oh guys, did I not mention Malleka’s very sweet and cute too?

Name: Malleka Gupta.
Residence: Sarita Vihar, New Delhi.
Phone number: 011-26940653.
email: guptamalleka@gmail.com
Orkut id: Adopt Me.
All together, she gave us three puppies. One for my girlfriend, one for Tawia, and one for nu Mateii’s family. My girlfriend named our pup “Tawia”, and Tawia named his “Michael Scofield”. But since we are looking after both of them, both the puppies respond only to the name “Tawia” and they now think it is both their names! There is nothing more funny than Tawia having to call his own puppy “Tawia”

The original “Tawia” is our favorite one, because he is extremely dumb! He is stupid in that very cute way. I mean he is clever enough to recognize me and stuff, but he does a lot of really really stupid things. Like for example, when I play with the dogs, I cannot fool Tawia’s dog with the same trick at one stretch. But I can fool our puppy with the same trick over and over again, and he will always fall for it. If I cover Tawia’s dog with a sheet and call him, he removes the sheet first and then comes running to me. If I do the same on “Tawia”, he comes running towards the sound of my voice with the sheet still over his head, banging on anything that lies in his path!

Tawia’s dog was disciplined much earlier than “Tawia” because we never used to scold “Tawia” as much as we scolded Tawia’s dog, as “Tawia” simply never used to do anything bad. Eventually, when he did started doing bad things (chewing on the cable wire, tearing newspapers) etc, it was nearly too late because if we slap him, he thinks we are playing with him, and he would roll on the ground in that cute way, making it impossible for us to act as if we are angry and scolding him. Sigh!

This was when they were small. Picture taken 2 months ago. Now one of them doesn’t even fit inside the cardboard box.





Yes, aren’t they just adorable? The one on the left with the black nose is “Tawia”. The dumb one. The one on the right is Tawia’s dog, “Michael Scofield” [of Prison Break]. What a stupid name for a dog



And of course we are the victim of many smart-ass remarks because of the sign we put up below our door. Like, our dear friend u Mafaka (of Delhi Mizoram House) who comes regularly to our place, and on seeing the puppies exclaimed, “Oh my God! You’re puppies are soooooo cute! Are they, by any chance, cute puppies?”



Another reason why I love him so much. He sleeps in a very unorthodox position, always!



Hence the reason why I just love Malleka’s little puppies, and am ever grateful to her for making our lives so much brighter, exciting and full of fun. I pray that our puppies’ sister will also find a warm loving home soon.

-------------------------------------------------------

Breedism: A form of non-human racism.

The other day we walked into a pet shop, a reputed pet shop at Khan Market, to buy food and accessories for our extremely adorable new puppies. We walked up to the counter.

“Good afternoon sir, good afternoon madam.”

“Good afternoon. Uhh… we are looking for some food, collars, food tray and all the other stuff, you know, for our new puppies.”

“Of course we have all the things you require, Sir. What breed is your dog?”

“Indian.”

I noticed the immediate raised eye-brow. His smile disappeared for a fraction of a second (probably less than 1/100 of a second, if I was allowed to exaggerate), but it felt like eternity to me (no exaggeration this time). He of course immediately reverted to his calm and cheerful self. His eyes and smile lied, but that brief moment of facial expression betrayed everything.

That’s the problem here in India. You say “Indian breed”, and the most common reaction one gets here is of utter disgust. Because Indian breeds are always held synonymous with stray dogs. I don’t blame them, after all, that’s the breed stray dogs here in India supposedly belong to.

I really used to hate those so called "dog lovers" who put on a theatrical “awwww chhoo chweet” expression whenever they see a well groomed expensive pedigree, but immediately show a disgusting “ewwww” at a malnourished street dog. I wondered how such people could call themselves “DOG lovers” and I used to think they were better off carrying the snooty tag “High breed Pedigree Lovers” rather than “dog lovers”.

But when you really think about it, I guess it all boils down to “one man’s Indian is another man’s Pedigree”. A self-acclaimed “food lover” (or “foodies” as the P3 calls them) need not necessarily love EVERY food, and are usually crazy about only those exotic dishes. Likewise, a so called “car lover” won’t even look twice at a rickety old ambassador, or how a “bike lover” is in love only with the imported ones.

But one fact remains clear: Indian breeds are called strays because of us. None of them ever wished to become strays out of their own volition; it is society that makes them strays. If only there are more people like Malleka Gupta, then we can truly rid India of all its strays.

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet! My husband and I also adopted a dog from a shelter and we are totally head over heels in love with her. she was already 2 when we got her.the problem with adopting an adult dog is that one never knows what kinda psychological trauma they have been through so trying to figure out why they are behaving in a particular manner becomes quite difficult.We hired a dog trainer and now she is really a darling. Adopting a puppy is easier. However, in real life, what is easier for us is not always what is best for the dogs (older dogs are really khawngaihthlak at the shelter as they have experienced what its like to live with a family and for some reason or the other no longer have a home).

keep up the good work. Is Malleka running a shelter or something? A fel khawp mai.

keep up the good work, good boi!

mona (yup, the same kongtes's pal.you asked me last time if its the same mona)

Anonymous said...

Sweet! My husband and I also adopted a dog from a shelter and we are totally head over heels in love with her. she was already 2 when we got her.the problem with adopting an adult dog is that one never knows what kinda psychological trauma they have been through so trying to figure out why they are behaving in a particular manner becomes quite difficult.We hired a dog trainer and now she is really a darling. Adopting a puppy is easier. However, in real life, what is easier for us is not always what is best for the dogs (older dogs are really khawngaihthlak at the shelter as they have experienced what its like to live with a family and for some reason or the other no longer have a home).

keep up the good work. Is Malleka running a shelter or something? A fel khawp mai.

keep up the good work, good boi!

mona (yup, the same kongtes's pal.you asked me last time if its the same mona)

a & z said...

i think it's kind of unfair sometimes that dogs get way more attention than cats. every ad you see on tv, it's always dogs dogs dogs. hey people, there are thousands of homeless cats waiting to be adopted too! and they can be just as affectionate! yes, you've guessed it right, i'm a cat lover(a rather obsessed one) through and through. i am a sucker for their beguiling purr :)

illusionaire said...

@ Mona: Thank you for your, not one but two, comments :)

I did not mention it in my post because I felt that the post is already long enough and it was deviating from the topic already. Two days back, my girlfriend and nu Mateii and her daughter found four puppy strays at the park! Some kids were throwing stones at them, and they went and "rescued" them. Then they asked the street-hawkers around about the puppies and they said they could take it if they want because they were a big menace around there.

They took four puppies. Word got around and we immediately found people who would adopt them. Today we went and got them all vaccinated, and the vet doctor had that different look, something like an admiration maybe, when we told her what we did and why we did it.

There is a vast difference between these new puppies and the old ones. These new puppies are more wild and extremely dependent than our two older puppies, because they had a small experience in the streets (probably 1 month old, said the vet today). And oh, their crap smells A LOT too purely because of all the crap they must have been eating off the streets. They are braver (courage to jump down from a chair or bed!) and are quite aggressive from human contact.

Like you said, "the problem with adopting an adult dog is that one never knows what kinda psychological trauma they have been through", thankfully, we got these puppies just in time and we're trying to change them. So far, so good.

illusionaire said...

@ A & Z: You share the same sentiments as my girl. Even she is a cat person, while being a dog person at the same time. Me, I like cats, but not enough to have them as pets, because, given any day, I would choose a dog over a cat :) Plus, there aren't that many stray cats compared to stray dogs :)

a & z said...

that's a very wrong misconception that people have! of course there are just as many! you don't see them because cats like to be mysterious :) i see so many skinny stray cats on the street side and it just makes me so sad. i'm not fond of dogs although some of them are cute but i'd choose a cat ANY DAY over a dog :( go cats!

sowmya said...

Your post totally transported me to my pre-college hyd days. Everytime I walked in my colony, a proud band of street dogs would follow me, and my mum would disapprovingly shake her head call it - "Sowmya's army".
I remember how i cried when my dogs where snatched away from me and my colony friends by a dog pound. My parents comforted me by saying that dogs arent put to sleep but put up for adoption. I never ever believed them. But well... I guess people like your friends and malleka are out there and it is comforting to know, if not all, some pups are saved and will continue to live a life, where love saves the day!

I must say adopting a dog is like adopting a child. I totally echo "anonymous's" concerns about how older dogs react compared to their younger counterparts. But its a good thing to adopt. All creatures small and living, deserve a chance! :)


Go Arvind Badrinarayan! (my friend who is into rehabilitation of tigers in thailand)
Go James Herriot! :)
Go Dog Whisperer! :)
Go - kima's friends !!:)


P.s : You know the famous saying about "our" things? - Honey if it is mine, it is mine, but if it is yours , it is ours!!! :D - damn , your girlfriend should make this her motto! :P (not the otherway around!!!)



ohhhh! i dont have a blogger account. i dont even kow if i am using it!! I am still on xanga-www.xanga.com/pepperequinos . I hardly blog nowadays. Guess I am caught in the rat race called -"life" !

Almost Unreal said...

I don't like dog, i don't like pets. I don't hate dogs but I hate cats.

I remember the other day when I went to a friend's house and the dog welcoming us..gosh...hated that

i might sound cold but I dont like pets

Almost Unreal said...

BTW, this Maleka..is she far from our apartment?

illusionaire said...

@ a&z : lolz. This is not about "Cat vs dog" debate, but rather a kaleidoscopic view into a world where stray dogs are treated with utmost hatred and repulsion by the society. I agree stray dogs are a big menace and I have a couple of bad experiences regarding stray dogs here in India. Taking in a grown-up stray is not a wise thing to do, because once they are old it is very difficult to change them. Hence the solution to the stray problem is to take in stray puppies, ie. while they are still young and about to embark on their journey at the learning curve.

Cats may be strays too, and you may feel for them. Similarly, some other person may come over here and talk about his preference of stray kangaroos over stray dogs :) And the debate would go on and on and on without addressing the crux of this article... You see where I'm going?? woof woof??? :) *grin*

Pixie said...

Awww!!! :-)
Now, that's a cute, mushy post rolled in with lots of sense! :-)
The Puppies are damn cute!

illusionaire said...

@ sowmya: Lolz. My girlfriend's gonna have a field day when she reads that comment of yours, about "yours being ours" etc :-D i will however plead ignorant to it. lolz.

You are so righttttt when it comes to the similarity between this and adopting a child. Sometimes when my girlfriend goes out of town for a gig, she would leave the puppies at my apartment. Aaaargh, they cry a lotttttt in the morning, and my roomies curse me for that. lolz. They crap everywhere, pee everywhere, and eat anything on the ground. Once, my roomie's beer bottle broke while I was not in the house, and seems the dogs licked up everything! And when I reached home, they were drunk! lolzzz. I felt sorry for them but at the same time, it was difficult not to laugh. Now my roomies made a new rule: No more sleepover allowed for the dogs. :)

@ almost unreal: Is that the reason why you never came over that day when you were nearby at a friend's place? Don't worry, our puppies don't bite, but the new one (mentioned in the comment above) does. Cute little thing biting in a very cute way. You SHOULD come and check them out.

illusionaire said...

lolz Pixie, you commented while I was replying to the comments :) Yes, they are indeed cute and thanx for agreeing :-) Mushy post? hmmmmm *GRIN*

Jinx said...

Owww, they're so so so adorable. I'm totally a pet person, whether it be dogs, cats or monkeys! But definitely not an insect or fish as pets! (Yep, cricket as pets are very popular here).
There's not a time in our family without pets around. Mostly a dog and a cat. Sometimes 2 dogs plus a cat. And they're always friendly to each other and are considered as part of the family.
I'd love to have pets here. But the problem is, I just can't imagine what is to become of them when I travel or decide to come back. I just can't bear the thought of leaving them to people whom I'm not sure would care and love them the same way as I do.That's the sole reason I don't have pets now.
There's a street here where they sell different breed of dogs. It's really hard for me to just pass them by. But I'd control myself not to even touch them, 'coz I know once I feel their lovely fur and their tiny cute body in my hand, I'd find it really hard to let them go again. It's pure torture for me to just watch them :(
I'd like to wish 'all power' to all the pet lovers out there :)

Jinx said...

Owww, they're so so so adorable. I'm totally a pet person, whether it be dogs, cats or monkeys! But definitely not an insect or fish as pets! (Yep, cricket as pets are very popular here).
There's not a time in our family without pets around. Mostly a dog and a cat. Sometimes 2 dogs plus a cat. And they're always friendly to each other and are considered as part of the family.
I'd love to have pets here. But the problem is, I just can't imagine what is to become of them when I travel or decide to come back. I just can't bear the thought of leaving them to people whom I'm not sure would care and love them the same way as I do.That's the sole reason I don't have pets now.
There's a street here where they sell different breed of dogs. It's really hard for me to just pass them by. But I'd control myself not to even touch them, 'coz I know once I feel their lovely fur and their tiny cute body in my hand, I'd find it really hard to let them go again. It's pure torture for me to just watch them :(
I'd like to wish 'all power' to all the pet lovers out there :)

Jinx said...

Hey, sorry about the multiple posts(if you get them). Didn't know the comment moderation is on. Mine is written in 'god knows what' language and thought that it's blocked(as usual). Finally got through with English version and found that it's com.moderated :)

SEKIBUHCHHUAK said...

ka sawi duh ka sawi lo mai ang..:))
engpawhnise,thau deuh khan lo vulh teh u khai...

Delhi ran kal hunah kan la 'englo' dawn nia un :PP

Anonymous said...

Hey, am sorry abt the multiple posts too...same thing happend to me as jinx. something which looks like Greek ( to me!) came on and i thought it was not posted. Am sending you pics of our adopted doggie soon. I duh reuh viau ang!

illusionaire said...

@ seki: Hei kan uite te ka train mekkkk a, an eitur ei lai ah i thlalak ka tar thin a, chuan delhi i rawn kal ve leh, "an va tui hmel..." pawh i tih theih hma in an rawn "bora khana" nghal ang che :-D


@ anonymous: :-) Its ok, You're all making it sound as if you've just committed a federal crime by posting twice :) Looking forward to your snaps!!!!


@ jinx: Nang leh repost hi chu, a beidawng thlak a ni :)

Its like giving up your one and only child up for adoption. You would want only the best to take care of him right? And yes, that is why I never took one of the pups because I am regularly on the move, and haven't settled down permanently yet. My girlfriend on the other hand is permanently settled here. I can't afford to have pet right now. I have a large aquarium with lots of fishes and I spent A LOT on them, but they are all with my ex-roomie back in Bangalore now. I had to leave them because I had to leave Bangalore. Thats the problem with pets. Its best not to have one if one is traveling regularly. And yes, you may not be a fish person, but I really really miss my fishes... (nemo, pele, lilo, nana, chichi, dada, romeo, zazou, fifi, jojo, mimi, sora, mazu, yoyo and tara)

:-(

Pixie said...

You had names for your fish?!!! LOLZ!
That is THE cutest thing I have heard so far!!!

illusionaire said...

hahaha! Well, some might find it a cute thing, while others consider it a jobless thing to do :-D

Malleka said...

Hey
Thank you so much for such kind words...
Thank you for looking after the pups so well... and touchwood!!- they look adorable....
About the BYOP (Bring Your Own Pup) party...WE SHALL ORGANIZE IT... But for that my little angel who I still have should get adopted, first...
The other pups are doing well too...
They too have found amazing families...touchwood!!! again..

I ditto every word you've written about breedism. I believe its all in the head... I picked my dog (INDIAN)3 n a half yrs ago.. he's turned out such a hunk...
all the bitches... pedigree or no-pedigree eye him... :-)

anyway, thanks a ton again....

Matey said...

Hey..cute little puppies.
Umm..I don't hate dogs but am afraid of them, especially when they bark behind me I have this weird feeling behind my knees every time.

Dee Dee said...

ok.... I recognize the cd cases, the pair of bball white nylon shorts hanging on the drying rack, the yellow pillow case and a couple of other stuff that belongs to you. Are you sure it's just ur girlfriends place? :P

claytonia vices said...

There are also Indian pedigrees like the Rajapalayam which are apparently ignored just because they are 'Indian'...

People with pets are a happier lot... you are so lucky!!

Calliopia said...

I just luuuurve dogs. And your puppies are chooochweeet. Especially in that pic where they're both sleeping with bedsheets oooooh! Just one little thing that worries me, your poochie looks like the big kind. I do hope he doesn't get too big for your space.

jimmy said...

Awwww, Kima's blogging about puppies and dogs now...chooooo chweeet. I never knew you liked dogs so much.
/blech!

illusionaire said...

@ Malleka: Looking forward to the party *GRIN*. By the way, that girl from Gurgaon hasn't called me up again, so I guess the new puppies will have to look for another home. I will give her another day, and if she still doesn't contact me, then I will give you a call.

@ matey: hehe, I guess you've been watching too many horror/thriller flicks. Domesticated dogs hardly bite. Even the stray ones don't bite because they are afraid of human contact due to the persistent inhuman treatment met out to them by the society.

@ deedee: lolz. No comments. :-P

@ claytonia: Thank you :) Yes indeed our life has been happier because of the pup. And we really don't care if its an Indian or Pedigree. And we feed these cute little irritating things, the costliest pedigree food one can buy. So to us, they are just as lovable.

@ calliopia: Yes they are the big type. But fortunately, one of them ain't ours, so the owner will be taking it net month. For the time being we are just looking after it.

@ Jimmy: Awww... Jimmy came to my blog and uttered "awww". Now that is chooo chweeet. Blech!

ligia said...

they are adorable once stephen and I we picked up a puppy from the street and took it home but it had some disease so we took him to blue cross and somebody adopt it.I love animals so much my brother thinks I love them more than him, I evevn climy to the fifth flooor window parapet to save a cat I am all for stray dog ....

Anonymous said...

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

what u hav said is absolutely true..
indian dogs are no less smart than the expensive pedigrees, and there is an unhealthy attitude amongst many towards them. I have a pet "tippu". I found him on the streets. He is so cute and smart. I cant understand why many treat the indian breeds as something very sub-standard. And ur puppies are very cute... By the way my dog also sleeps in very unorthodox postions :D

Clyde said...

To my mind everyone may read it.
check this | at this shop | at this shop