Photobucket had recently changed their policy and now all the images from my 650+ blog posts are disabled. I am slowly editing them by moving my images to my own server at AWS, but it will take time. In case there is a particular old post you want to see the images of, kindly drop me a mail at mizohican@gmail.com and I'll keep that at a high priority. Thank you.

Sunday, November 15, 2020

Chp 837. One Year of Unemployment


Exactly one year ago today, November 15th 2019, I quit my job as a game designer, bidding farewell to the Corporate World for the rest of my life.

Yes, I still can't believe it's already been a year!

Everything felt like it was just a few weeks or months ago when that happened, with memories of me having my last corporate lunch or peeing for the last time in our office toilet still so fresh in my mind.


For those of you interested, you can go through the drama of my last day of employment by clicking this link - Chp 787. Goodbye, Corporate World.

Going through the above post again now makes me feel quite nostalgic. That is a life I will never have again, permanently etched in the galleries of my blog, filed under "work experience". Scratch that. It wasn't just a work experience for me, it was my life experience.

Waking up this morning and opening my Facebook feed to see this "memory" notification really jolted me out of my dreamy state.


But the biggest shock for me is realizing it had been an entire year since all that happened.

How did time fly by so freaking fast?

Well, the answer is simple. CoVid-19 happened.

As most of us spent the better part of this year being kept in lockdowns or under travel restrictions, we ended up having very few memorable moments to remember. Our human brain is wired in such a way that we tend to measure time by the amount of memories we had.

Because of CoVid-19, most of us were at home, doing the same stuff (watching TV, baking bread, reading novels etc) over and over again. Some of us were taking online classes or attending online classes, with no real exposure to the experience of travelling to school or college and meeting friends and laughing etc. Others were WFH - Work From Home, attending zoom calls and completing tasks without actually meeting any colleagues.

In a way, our lives became one monotonous cycle that kept repeating perpetually. There were almost no family outings or dinner parties, no birthday or wedding celebrations, no visits to the pubs or clubs, no church services or prayer fellowships, not even school and college classes, everything felt like we were stuck in oblivion, unable to progress, bound by invisible shackles around our ankles.

But as the late Freddy Mercury once sang, "Time waits for nobody". Time... just kept going. We didn't.

And that's how time flew by so fast, how one year of me being unemployed had gone by just like that. Poof with the wind.


But as all my friends and family members told me, I am the luckiest son of a beep they know of, because all my life I had been living outside Mizoram, and then when I finally packed up my belongings and moved back to Mizoram for good, this pandemic happened. :D

I'm not joking about the pandemic, nor am I taking it lightly, but it sure feels good and extremely reassuring for me to be with my family at times like this. Had it been any other year, I wouldn't even be in Mizoram, and my family would have been worried sick about me. Likewise, I, them.

I hope this whole CoVid-19 situation gets better soon. Too many people are affected by it, not just medically but financially as well. Doesn't matter if you are infected or not, the lockdowns and various restrictions will affect you, especially if you are living paycheck to paycheck.

Praying for Mizoram and the World.

See you again on my next update. Love and Prayers.

No comments: