Photobucket had recently changed their policy and now all the images from my 650+ blog posts are disabled. I am slowly editing them by moving my images to my own server at AWS, but it will take time. In case there is a particular old post you want to see the images of, kindly drop me a mail at mizohican@gmail.com and I'll keep that at a high priority. Thank you.

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Chp 576. Blast from the Past - The Grinder


No this is not one of those #backtothefuture related posts, especially since yesterday was "October 21, 2015", also known as "Back To The Future" Day because it was the date Marty McFly travelled to the future to save his children. But this post isn't about the popular movie franchise. This post is rather about a popular TV series of that same era.

In my previous blog post I wrote a review on "Blindspot", "The Player" and a couple of new TV shows that started airing this year. I do intend to write about other new shows such as Limitless, Minority Report, Quantico, Scream Queens, The Bastard Executioner, Code Black, and Blood & Oil (as suggested by my friend Conrad Barwa).

Of course finding the time to do all that is going to be a problem, especially now that the new seasons of some of my favorite old shows have just started airing... We are now currently into the fourth or fifth episodes of shows such as Criminal Minds (season 11), Madam Secretary (season 2), Chicago PD (season 3), HTGAWM (season 2), The Blacklist (season 3), Scandal (season 5), The Flash (season 2), Arrow (season 4),  Marvels Agents of SHIELD (season 3), Modern Family (season 7), Supernatural (season 11) etc. not to mention others like Suits, Silicon Valley, House of Cards, Banshee, etc that haven't started airing their new seasons yet.

Yeah, good times ahead...

But for now, I'd like to mention one new TV show that has just started airing this year. The name of the sitcom is "The Grinder" and it's about a popular Television lawyer-actor who tried to join his family's legal firm and the many conflict he faced with his brother who is an actual lawyer.



The show mainly revolves around real life versus reel life issues of the legal world, about the many things that happen on television that actually do not happen in actual life, and I do find most of the humor to be quite fresh and original.

Now one main reason why I really love the show is because of the awesome casting. There's the glorified television-actor lawyer Dean Sanderson played by Rob Lowe, more popularly known as Chris Traeger from "Parks and Recreation". Then there's the dad, Dean Sanderson Sr., played by William Devane, whom most "24" TV series fans would immediately recognize as James Heller who appeared in four seasons of the show including the latest one "24: Live Another Day" as the American President. Others like Mary Elizabeth Ellis, Natalie Morales and Hana Hayes are no strangers to the screen world as well.

But the one person who really got me all excited was the lawyer brother, Stewart Sanderson, who was always sceptical about Dean's glamorous version of how the legal system works in real life. And the role of that character is played none other than...

*drum roll*

Fred Savage!!!!!

OMG OMG!

Fred freaking Savage, ladies and gentlemen!

Ok if you have no clue who Fred Savage is, then I really pity you for not having an awesome childhood. :P

I'll give you a clue...

He was the star of one of the most popular TV shows back when I was a kid.

Fred Savage, dude!

Ok still doesn't ring a bell? Here's a photo of him in the show "The Grinder" with Rob Lowe where, as mentioned earlier, he plays the role of a serious lawyer brother.



His face looks familiar?

No?

Seriously?

Ok here is another photo of Fred Savage, taken many years ago with his two co-stars of that era...



Ahhhhh... now you remember! :) Kevil Arnold (Fred Savage), with his best friend Paul and his neighbour/crush/girlfriend/ex Winnie Cooper (Danica McKellar), who was also the crush of many guys of my generation, including me :) The Wonder Years!

Who can ever forget their iconic theme song - "What would you do if I sang out tune? Would you stand up and walk out on me? Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song, I will try not to sing out of key, yeah..."

The good ol "Star Plus" days when Rupert Murdoch initially launched the channel in India and it used to broadcast only English Movies and TV series like The Wonder Years, Tour of Duty, Sledgehammer, Moonlighting, M*A*S*H, Remington Steele, etc...

But coming back to the present, dayymnnn Fred Savage definitely looks different now from the Kevin Arnold days...

And maybe that is why I really like "The Grinder" - He kinda still plays that passive nerdy role who gets trampled by the more outspoken and bold older brother (of course Dean is much kinder than Wayne Arnold ever was).

So yeah, do try to catch this show if you can, I'm sure you'll like it.

Cheers for now :)



No comments: