Photobucket had recently changed their policy and now all the images from my 650+ blog posts are disabled. I am slowly editing them by moving my images to my own server at AWS, but it will take time. In case there is a particular old post you want to see the images of, kindly drop me a mail at mizohican@gmail.com and I'll keep that at a high priority. Thank you.

Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Chp 903. RIP Saddam

I’ve been blogging for almost 20 years now, and every now and then, it hits me just how much time has passed. 

But nothing drove that reality home more than when Shweta messaged me that Saddam, our beloved beagle, had been put down, at the ripe age of 12. 

I remember writing about the day we welcomed him into our lives (Hello Saddam), just a tiny ball of energy. 

Even though I exited from his life a couple of years later because I relocated to Pune, I could never forget the time I spent with him, the number of times he begged to be on my bed wagging his cute and stubby tail, snuggled next to me as I slept while he snored like a mini-thunderstorm, and being the best "good boy" when it comes to waiting for the command to eat his treat even though it was placed right in front of him.

Here are some of his photos I could find on my hard disk.

He came into our lives during our super busy and hectic incubator and start-up days, so Saddam spent a lot of his time in the office with us.

With Siddharth travelling to different cities and countries meeting different VCs and Angel Investors most of the time, Saddam spent most of the nights with me.

Snuggy bear.

Waking up to this every morning was pure bliss.

When I suddenly had to travel back to Mizoram because my dad was in the hospital, I quickly packed my things. And then I turned around... guess who was inside my suitcase, as if to say, "Take me along toooo puleeeze!"

This is how we spent the 31st night, December 2013, together.

When I moved into the bigger bedroom of our 3BHK apartment because one of our flatmates had left, Saddam was excited about getting a bigger bed.

Every time I left my seat in front of my computer to get something, Saddam would immediately occupy my seat, lolz.

His favourite sleeping position.

Awwee. Love how he fits perfectly. Must be so cosy.

And here are some photos of Saddam with our other pets.

Gaddafi and him were like brothers.

Looking at some Bollywood celebs loitering around beneath our apartment. :D

Friday night movie time with the fam.

Pillow fight, lolz.

Cuties.

Saddam with our two new Persians, litters of Sumeet's cats.

He didn't mind them at all, the sweet angel that he was.

Saddam with some of my friends.

Little did Saddam know that the person he was playing tug with below would later become an MLA in Mizoram and probably the future CM? :)

And finally, some of my photos with Saddam.

A very comforting sleep indeed.

I used to spend a lot of time trying to figure out what Saddam was so interested in looking at outside our window.

I ended up sleeping like him too :P

Diwali was the most difficult time for us as Saddam was scared of the noises. And so I used to make him listen to soft music on headphones while hugging him tightly, until the rockets and crackers outside stopped.

And sometimes he would just stare at the ants crawling on the floor so I joined him too. It was exciting. :P

And so, these are the photos I managed to find.

I don't have his later photos because, as I mentioned, I relocated to Pune a few years later. I only saw Saddam again last year when I went to pay my respects at Siddharth's memorial service.

Siddharth and Shweta continued looking after Saddam after I left Mumbai, and he loved his farm visits, like this one time we spent the weekend at Almitra Villa. That farm visit was when Sid initially thought about purchasing his own farm and living there.

But age was catching up with Saddam—he was eventually half blind, his bones were giving way, and his body was slowly failing him from the inside, with the occasional seizures. It’s surreal to think that the same Saddam who ran around the house like a maniac back then, playing with mops and chewing on everything in sight, had grown old and fragile.

It truly puts life into perspective, witnessing an entire life come and go while I’ve been here, sharing my thoughts and stories on this blog. 

Flipping through some of my old posts stirs up a mix of emotions—nostalgia, laughter, and a bit of sadness. I can’t help but smile at memories like the time I accidentally ate Saddam's food and the way he glared at me the next day, as if he knew exactly what I'd done.

And with Sid leaving us last year (Fare thee well Siddharth Rao), there’s some comfort in knowing that Saddam won’t be alone on the other side. I like to think that Sid is waiting for him across the rainbow, ready to give him the warmest welcome with the tightest hug. The thought of them being reunited, two old friends meeting again, truly warms my heart and brings some comfort amidst the sadness.

So here is to Saddam. Cheers. It’s strange how a little bundle of fur can leave such a massive imprint on your heart. I’ll always be grateful for the joy he brought into our lives. 

Farewell, Saddam. You were more than just a pet—you were family. And even though Shweta's farmhouse may now feel a little emptier, I am sure your memory will always fill her with warmth. Love and hugs to dear Shwetz as well. Give our warmest regards to Sid. Good boy!

No comments: